Hiram A. McAdams

Jennie Robbins - Alice Rebecca Williamson

Newsletter - April 1999

William Vernon McAdams and Annie Cureton McAdams
The 1999 Hiram McAdams Family Reunion will be held , as always, on the last Sunday in April (April 25) at the reunion grounds in Walker County. The hosts for this year’s reunion are the children, grandchildren, and great grandchildren of William Vernon McAdams and Annie Cureton McAdams. This newsletter is dedicated to them. The following article was written by Anita Glynn McAdams Taylor.

William Vernon McAdams, eleventh son of Hiram Augustus McAdams and fifth son of Alice Rebecca Williamson McAdams, was born January 13, 1901, in Walker County, Texas. As a young man, he worked cattle with his brothers in Walker County and other parts of Texas. After attending Sam Houston State University, he began a school teaching career

On April 4, 1925, he married Annie Arlene Cureton who was also a teacher in Walker County. Annie Cureton was born March 10,1904, and she was reared near Nacogdoches, Texas. Vernon and Annie had three children: Anita Glynn, born January 2, 1926; William Vernon, Jr. (Bill), born January 3, 1930; and Virginia Ann, born October 6, 1944.

Anita Glynn McAdams married William R. Taylor on May 12, 1951, and they have two sons: James Vernon, born September 23, 1954,and Paul Franklin, born April 9, 1957. James Vernon married Terri Lyn Walters on December 17, 1988.They have three children: Sarah Anne, William Samuel, and John Wesley.

Paul Franklin married Rebecca Ann Leffingwell on October 23,1982. They have four children: Emily Glynn, Lauren Elizabeth, Claire Elaine, and Anne Louise.

William Vernon McAdams, Jr. (Bill) married Bonnie Niemeyer on December 23, 1955.They have two children: Michael Steven, born August 22, 1958, and Sharon Denise, born January 14, 1963.Michael Steven married Tammie Kimbrell on March 6, 1982.They have two children: Rachel Renee and Ryan Kimbrell.

Sharon Denise married Allan Michalak June 28, 1986. They have two children: Brent Allan and Chase Michael.

Vernon McAdams spent 38 years in public education. He taught school at Rye in the Big Thicket, Round Prairie, John Conn, and in Lavaca County. He then taught at Pankey, near Bedias, for seven years before moving to Bedias where he was superintendent for 17 years. He went to Madisonville after Bedias lost its school due to small enrollment, and he was high school principal for three years before he retired. He received many honors from his school colleagues and students. He also received honors from the Bedias Civic Club.

Former students of Madisonville High School gave the following tribute to Vernon McAdams as Principal of Madisonville High School:

"All who knew him perceived him to be an upright, honest, and kindly man -- a man whose Christian principles were a way of life. He loved life; he loved the school; he loved his students. Time will not dim these qualities of his memory."

Vernon and Annie McAdams were faithful members of the Bedias Baptist Church, and they served in many leadership capacities. Vernon was General Superintendent of the Sunday School for many years and then taught the Men's Bible Class for many years. Annie taught mission books in the Woman's Missionary Union, and she worked in various positions of the Sunday School.

Vernon tells that when he was young, his brothers and he would go to their "Old Place" in Walker County and work cattle all week. It was a distance from Bedias to the "Old Place" of 10 miles, and it took about three hours on horseback. When the boys were staying at the "Old Place" during the week and working the cattle, their father, Hiram McAdams, would sometimes come out there and spend the night with them. He would wake up in the middle of the night around 2:00 A. M., as he went to bed at dark and waked up early. If anyone so much as wiggled a toe, he would be up and calling him. If anyone answered, Hiram McAdams would talk to him the rest of the night. Vernon said that they soon learned not to make any noise during the night!

Vernon said that the countryside out at the "Old Place" in Walker County looks quite different today than it did when he was young. Years ago, it was more open, with less trees. His father, Hiram McAdams, had cattle all over the open country and piney woods from Pine Creek down by Hopewell, all along, the South Bedias Creek to the forks of the North and South Bedias Creeks on the Madisonville to Huntsville Road.

Annie Arlene McAdams died February 18, 1970, and William Vernon McAdams died June 16, 1980. They are buried in the McAdams Cemetery in Walker County, Texas.

Your MacGregors
What follows is a look at the Clan Gregor (MacGregor). Remember that our McAdams clan was a "sept" or subclan of the larger MacGregor group. This is a necessarily very brief sketch of MacGregor history. If you are interested in learning more, there are several excellent Scottish resources on the internet. You can reach most of them from the "links" page on the Hiram A. McAdams Family web site (http://www.mcadams.org).

The first certain chief of the Clan Gregor was Gregor of the Golden Bridles. His son, Iain Camm, One-Eye, succeeded as the second chief before 1390

King Robert the Bruce gave the barony of Loch Awe to the Campbells for their aid in raising him to the throne. Loch Awe was MacGregor land and the Bruce left it up to the Campbells how they would take possession of this area. The Cambells built the castle of Kilchurn and the MacGregors were forced to retreat deeper into their lands until they were eventually restricted to Glenstrae.

Iain the Black died in 1519 without a male heir. The Campbells supported Eian MacGregor as chief since he was married to the daughter of Sir Colin Campbell of Glenorchy. Eian's son, Alistair, fought the English at Pinkie Cleugh but died shortly after. In 1560 Gregor Roy MacGregor fought the Campbells as an outlaw after Sir Colin Campbell of Glenorchy refused to recognize his claim to his estates. In 1570 he was captured and killed by the Campbells. His son, Alistair, took over as chief but was unable to stop the Campbell persecution of the MacGregors.

A Royal Forester, John Drummond, was murdered after hanging a band of MacGregors for poaching. The King then issued an edict abolishing the name MacGregor. What this essentially meant was that MacGregors had to renounce their name or suffer death. The chief and 11 of his chieftains were hanged in Edinburgh. The rest of the Clan scattered many taking other Highland names to conceal their lineage and thus avoid being hunted like animals.

Despite this treatment 200 men of the Clan fought against Cromwell during the civil war. In gratitude King Charles II repealed the proscription on the name MacGregor but it was re-imposed when William of Orange took the throne.
This is the time of the legendary Rob Roy MacGregor. Born in 1671 he had to assume his mother's name of Campbell. He fought on the Jacobite side at the Battle of Sheriffmuir but after the battle he began a life of plundering and was a thorn in the side of the government until his death in 1734.

The proscription was again repealed, this time for good, in 1774. At this time there were 826 MacGregors who wanted to claim the chiefship but it was finally awarded to General John Murray a descendant of Duncan MacGregor of Ardchoille who died in 1552

Jeffrey Wilson Langley receives degree
Jeffrey Wilson Langley received a Bachelor of Science Degree in Criminal Justice from Sam Houston State University in December, 1998.

Jeffrey is the son of Hiram Wesley (Jack) and Dorothy Nolen Langley and the grandson of Era McAdams Langley.

Jeffrey and Kim Tomkins were married in July, 1997 and live in Kosse, Texas.

The family of William Vernon and Annie Cureton McAdams will host the last H. A. McAdams reunion of the 20th Century. Plan now to attend this rewarding gathering of the clan on Sunday, April 25th. This will be the 64th annual reunion. Keep the tradition alive! Make Uncle Vernon and Aunt Annie proud!

Stories from our past
In 1995, Mary Frances Payne Murphy compiled some remembrances of Hiram A. McAdams. The following are excerpts from her work:

We lived at the old place when I was about 12 or 13. Grandpa would come on his horse from Bedias to see about his stock down here. He stayed with us at night and during the day some. He was very quiet as I remember, a stately man, a great Christian man with much love for his family.
Robbie Lee McAdams Hughes

I do recall one exciting night when I was about five years old (that would make Bob ten years old.) Daddy put Mother, Bob and me in the car to go with him to look for Grandpa. The night was very dark. I don't know how late it was. One of my uncles had called from Bedias to say that "Papa" had left on his horse that morning and had not returned. Now we all knew that Grandpa had been pleaded with not to ride horseback alone. After all, he was 85 years old! I can still recall the thrill I felt, with the air rushing in the car windows, as we traveled fast (perhaps 30 miles per hour) over the rutted country roads in the black, black night. The dark seemed endless as we drove here and there searching. I remember the deep quiet and dread as we three sat hushed and frightened, waiting while Daddy shined the beam of the flashlight through the windows of the Round Prairie house. All was so still and very ominous. Suddenly we could hear Grandpa's loud, gruff voice from inside the house. "Get that light out of my eyes, Edgar, and get out of here NOW.' Edgar did.
Margaret McAdams McDonald & Bob McAdams

Once when he was at the Old Place, there came a big rain that flooded Bedias Creek. The crossing was primitive even at best and could be dangerous. But Pop had planned to go home to Bedias that day and nothing would stop him. Seeing his determination, Mother and Dad agreed privately that Dad would cross the Bedias with Pop to be sure of his safety. Pop sensed something to that effect and protested when Dad saddled up to accompany him. Dad insisted, however, that he had to see about some cows on the other side of the creek. So the two of them swam their horses across the creek. But instead of riding on to town, Hiram stayed with Horace, saying, "I will have to see YOU back across the creek." Which he did.
Marilyn McAdams Sibley

I was 12 years old when Mama died. Era was going off to teach school about that time and Horace and Mary were already married. That left Joe, Vernon and me at home with Papa. Joe and Vernon were down at the Old Place tending to the cattle most of the time, and sometimes Papa would need to go there with them. Well, when he would stay there all night, I would go sleep over at Alice's house, eat breakfast with them and come back home and eat again. About that time there was an old Negro woman named Mariah who was always taking care of somebody who needed help. Well, one day I came home and there was Mariah. When she found out that we really needed a woman around the house, she just came andd started working for us. She didn't even ask Papa if we wanted help. She just took over running the household. She became quite a tradition around our house, almost like one of the family,, and there will always be a special place in our hearts for her. Papa and Mariah would listen to the radio all the time, especially the ball games. They knew more about the ball games -- the coaches, players, and teams -- than anybody else even though they had never seen a real ball game. That was sort of their life. Finally, Joe decided that he was going to take Papa to see a real ball game when Iola came over to play, Bedias in football. Well, Papa made Joe bring him home even before the game was over. He said he didn't like to watch it. He only liked to listen to them on the radio.
Ruth McAdams Cole tape 1976

One story I remember hearing, and it has stuck with me. It concerns the Negro wash woman who came to Pop’s house on Monday and to Uncle Tobe Williamson’s on Tuesday. One spring morning she noted that she didn’t have any long underwear to wash because Pop had already taken his off (for the season). On Tuesday morning, when she was sorting Uncle Tobe’s clothes, she didn’t find any long underwear in it, so she marched up to Uncle Tobe and said, "Lord God, Tobe, why don’t you take off your long drawers? Hiram took his off two weeks ago!"
Thomas McAdams

Once when the boys thought Pop was off the place, they were huddled around the fireplace in the front room. Remember that was the only heat in the entire house except for Mariah’s wood cook stove. Anyway, Uncle Vernon was smoking when Pop walked in. Mama (Beth) said that Daddy (Joe) told her that Uncle Vernon literally ate that cigarette. Pop did not approve of tobacco in any form for himself or for his boys.
Jo Beth McAdams Stutts

As a nine year old, I remember how tall Pop was and how dignified he looked in his Western hat! Mother’s (Annie) brother, Allen Cureton remembers visiting with us and looking out to see Pop riding up on his horse — just in time for dinner. He was in his late 80’s then. Also, I remember how much he and Mariah liked to listen to the radio.
Anita Glynn McAdams Taylor

Damie Roberts celebrates her 90th birthday!
Damie Richards was born on March 1, 1909 in Cryer Creek, Navarro County, Texas, near Corsicana to Maggie and CC Richards. Her unusual name, given to her by her father, has always been a source of curiosity. When she was a girl, Damie once asked her father where he got the name. Her father told her that around the time of her birth he had been reading a farming magazine which contained a story about a girl and her dog, and was thus inspired to give her the name "Damie". Mr. Richards said that was the name of the little girl, but Damie has always suspected that she was named after the dog!

One of Damie's fondest memories of her girlhood revolves around an incident when she was sick one day. Her father asked if there was anything he could do to help her feel better. She replied that she thought a hamburger would help (!) So her darling Poppa saddled up the mule and rode to town to buy her a hamburger....hardly fast food!

Damie was born to older parents, the baby of a large family (a "yours, mine, and ours" situation), and was, in some ways, just a bit "spoiled". Damie remembers that Roy, her brother who was five years older than her, set up a charge account for her at the little grocery store that did business along Damie’s two-mile route to school. She was allowed to buy whatever she wanted and Roy paid for it out of the money he made off of his paper route. Damie graduated from Itasca High School in 1925, and went on to attend business college in Dallas.

After the death of her father, Damie and her mother moved to Crockett to live with Damie’s older sister and her family. She worked in the bakery owned by her brother-in-law. Jeanette and Lonzo Courtney owned a grocery store there, and after meeting Damie, Jeanette decided to introduce the young Miss Richards to her bachelor brother, Floyd Roberts, who drove a truck for the Courtney’s grocery store. They dated or some time before Floyd made a proposal of marriage. The young couple had planned to be married on a Sunday afternoon, but on Friday, August 17, 1934 (two days before the proposed wedding) Floyd arrived on Damie’s doorstep, asking her to move up the wedding date to that very night so that they could have a week-end honeymoon to Galveston before he had to return to work on Monday. Damie was reluctant due to the fact that her wedding dress was still at the dressmaker’s shop, but decided that she could wear her second-best dress instead. She got dressed quickly and the two walked to the theater, interrupting the "picture show" to ask their close friends to come "stand up for them". (Wouldn't it be interesting to know the name of the movie?) Together, the little group walked to the pastor's home where Floyd and Damie were married. From that simple beginning, their marriage lasted 49 years, until Floyd’s death in 1983, producing three children, nine grandchildren, and 17 great-grandchildren.

Floyd and Damie lived in Pasadena, Texas from 1936 until Floyd’s retirement from Shell Oil Company in 1959. They returned "home" to Huntsville in 1959, where Damie still resides. Through the years, Floyd’s "McAdams cousins" have become her family, and she counts many of them among her very dearest friends. (Remainder of article omitted due to privacy concerns)

Did you know that McAdams was also a place?
McAdams was on the path of present Farm Road 1696 fourteen miles northwest of Huntsville in eastern Walker County. It was probably named for John McAdams, Jr., an early settler in the area, who served as a member of the St. Augustine Volunteers under Captain Bradley in the Texas revolutionary army. The McAdams home became the center of a rural community, and the village soon supported a church and school.

Sam Houston is reported to have been a frequent visitor in the McAdams home. A McAdams post office opened in 1888 with Mary Frances McAdams, second wife of John McAdams, Jr., as postmistress. The Texas Gazetteer estimated the 1896 population of McAdams to be near fifteen; in 1914 the community had a population of sixty, two cotton gins, and three general stores. The post office closed in 1917. In 1936 a schoolhouse, a church, and a cemetery remained. County maps of 1990 indicate only a cemetery at the site.

BIBLIOGRAPHY: D'Anne McAdams Crews, ed., Huntsville and Walker County, Texas: A Bicentennial History (Huntsville, Texas: Sam Houston State University, 1976). Walker County Genealogical Society and Walker County Historical Commission, Walker County (Dallas, 1986).

The children of John McAdams, Sr.
The first five children of John McAdams, Sr. and Martha Rodgers were featured in the Fall, 1998 newsletter. Here are the remaining children, documented by Mary Frances Payne Murphy in 1991.

John McAdams, Jr. BORN: 8 July 1815 Maury Co., Tennessee (His statement)
DIED: 11 Sept 1892 Walker Co., Tx.
MARRIED: (1) Hester White, 1838, Sabine or Shelby Co., Tx.
CHILDREN: Mary Jane McAdams, William Frances McAdams, John Robert McAdams, Hiram Augustus McAdams, James Rodger McAdams
MARRIED: (2) Mary Frances Bankhead, 11 Nov 1849, Walker Co., Tx.
CHILDREN: Hester McAdams, Sarah Frances McAdams, Amanda Loretta McAdams, George Richard McAdams, Frank McAdams, Joseph Leander McAdams, Edward McAdams, Eady Caroline McAdams, Alice Theodocia McAdams, Margarette Annaliza McAdams, Mattie Ethel McAdams

John McAdams, Jr. never wavered when asked about his birth. He always gave the location as Maury County, Tennessee. By 1820, the family was living in Stewart County, Tennessee. This county is located in the part of the state now known as the Land Between the Lakes. The boundary line between Kentucky and Tennessee was in frequent dispute which is probably why one of the siblings gave one state and another child would name the other state as his birthplace.

Young John moved to Alabama with the family in the early 1820's and then while he was still a teenager, John, Sr. settled the family in Sabine District of Texas. Family tradition is that John went back to Alabama (where two sisters lived) for a while but he returned to Texas in time to be counted with his parents in the first census taken in 1834.

When the Revolution started he joined Capt. Scurlock's company in San Augustine, serving for several months. He received one pair of "common brogans" in payment. After the formation of the Republic he received a Bounty Warrant for his service and his name is on a plat of land located east of downtown Tyler. He assigned this acreage to J.C. Hill in 1848. When the Sabine County Land Commissioners convened in January of 1838, John, Jr. applied and was granted 1/3 of a league of land for residing in the area prior to the Revolution. He patented a portion of this land in Sabine County and another portion in Panola County.

John married Hester White in 1838 in either Shelby County or Sabine County. Marriage records from both counties have been destroyed by fire. Moving to Walker (then Montgomery) County about 1840, John purchased land near Hester's parents and established a home.

Once again in 1840 John joined others from Montgomery County, serving in Capt. Risenhoover's Company when Indians attacked the western frontier of Texas. They went as far as Nashville on the Brazos in this engagement which was called Archer's War.

Five children were born to John and Hester before her death in 1849. She was the first person buried in the McAdams Cemetery which is still in use in Walker County. John was a lay preacher in the Methodist Church and was said to be able to quote much of the Bible.

He was a horse lover and owned a fine horse which he traveled back to Louisiana to purchase. He raced this horse which he called "Methodist Bull" on a dirt track built in Walker County. Although John did not believe in betting, others won much money because of Methodist Bull's winning record. When his racing days were over John continued to give the horse the best care until he died.

During this period Sam Houston made many visits to the McAdams homeplace. He evidently enjoyed the opportunity to relax in the rural setting away from his obligations. On at least one point, John and Sam were in agreement. Both opposed secession from the Union. John paid substitutes to serve in the Confederate forces so his sons would not have to fight against the Union. Later, however, several of them were members of the Texas Infantry serving under Elmore.

After Hester's death, John, Sr. and Martha McAdams moved in with their son to help care for the five young children. John, Jr. married Mary Frances Bankhead and, at the age of 15, she became step mother to John's five children and, in the following years, the mother of eleven children of her own. In addition, the couple took a number of orphan children into their home to raise. John was interested in education and donated lumber to build a school as well as money to pay for a teacher.

John was a prosperous farmer and rancher and was well respected by the people around him. He died in 1892 and is buried in McAdams Cemetery. He left many descendants scattered around East Texas.

Martha McAdams
BORN: December 19, 1816 in Kentucky (her statement)
DIED: November 13, 1898 in Cherokee County, Tx. Buried Earle's Chapel, Jacksonville
MARRIED: William Jones Ragsdale, c. 1837 Sabine Co., Texas.
CHILDREN: John Nimrod, Ann Eliza, Emily V., Martha C., William Baxter, Peter Chappell, Edward J., Rebecca A., Evalina R., Dewitt C.

William Jones Ragsdale received land grant #27 for one league and one labor of land in Sabine County on January 1, 1838 which proves that he was married by this time. He paid taxes in Sabine County in 1837, 1838, and 1839 on one Negro and one horse. Land was exempt as titles were not yet clear and 25 head of cattle and four horses were also exempt. The family moved to Cherokee County in 1847.

William was a bricklayer and farmer. He served in Capt. David Renfro's company, Sabine County and W.H. Landrum's company. during the Texas Revolution.

The family was active in the Methodist Church and William was a Mason. They helped establish Earle's Chapel Methodist Church, five miles out of present day Jacksonville on the Palestine Road. Martha was called Patsey by the family and is remembered in family stories as being a small lady who smoked a clay pipe. Her mother, Martha Rodgers McAdams was visiting the Ragsdales and Smiths when she died in 1852, and she is probablv buried in Old Jacksonville Cemetery in an unmarked grave.

William McAdams
BORN: 1819, probably in Tennessee

The only thing known about this son is the family story that he was killed when kicked by a horse immediately following his sister Elizabeth's wedding to George Gillespie.

Jane Evalina McAdams
BORN: 2 Oct 1820 (1822) (Smith Bible gives two dates) in Tuscaloosa Co. , Ala.
DIED: Nov. 1906 in Cherokee Co., Tx.
MARRIED: Jackson Smith (1814-1897) abt. 1837 Shelby Co.,Tx.
Martha Jane b. 9 Jan 1839 m. J.G.W. Griffin
Elizabeth Ellender b. 10 Apr 1840 m. Thomas Roundtree
John Wesley b.14 Mar 1842 m. Martha Ellen Matkin
George Travis b.27 Jan 1844
William Jackson b.27 Nov 1845
Thomas Jefferson b.13 Jan 1848 m. Hettie Matkin
Robert Roundtree b.31 Aug 1851 m. Nannie Bridges
Francis Ann b. 29 Jun 1854
Mary Adaline Geneva b.18Oct 1857 m. E.L. Reynolds

There is some conflict over the year of Jane Evalina's birth. The Smith Family Bible gives two dates and her age on census records is different from these. She married Jackson Smith in Shelby Co. according to her great-granddaugilter and the family lived there until the mid-1840's when they removed to Montgomery (Walker) Co. for a short time. By 1847 Jackson settled the family in what is now Cherokee Co. Jackson came to Texas from Illinois in time to serve in the Revolution in Capt. Burriet's Co. of Gen. Thomas J. Rusk's Brigade and he claimed to have guarded Santa Ana after the Battle of San Jacinto. In 1838 Jackson scouted for Gen. Rusk when troops were sent to Cherokee Co. following the Killough Massacre in which 17 people were killed, supposedly by Indians. During this service Jackson located land on Gum Creek where he later settled. It was a portion of this land that he set aside to establish the town of Jacksonville. He ran a blacksmith's shop there. During the Civil War Jackson joined Confederate forces for four years of service. He was a Master Mason and the family attended the Methodist Church. In 1987 a Texas Historical Commission marker was placed on his grave to honor him as the founder of the town. A tragic accident in 1870 claimed the life of Jackson and Evalina's son, Bill. A circus -troop was performing in Jacksonville when a disturbance broke out between some of the performers and local people. Federal troops were called in and they captured and killed a murderer. In the confusion Bill Smith was accidently shot as he was riding out of town on his horse. He was probably buried in the Smith Family Cemetery which can not now be located. It was destroyed by bull dozers in the 1960's when Lake Jacksonville was created. Chances are that Jane Evalina was buried there in 1906. She was living with her daughter, Mary Adaline Reynolds near the cemetery. If the winter rains had set in it would have been almost impossible to transport the body to Jacksonville where Jackson is buried. Her obituary in the Jacksonville Banner of 16 Nov 1906 fails to locate the place of burial but gives her age as 89, yet a different date for her birth.

George McAdams
BORN: 1824 in Alabama

The McAdams family was living in Tuscaloosa, Alabama at the time of George's birth so we are assuming that he was born there. He is shown on the 1830 Alabama census and was 10 years old when listed on the 1834 First Census of Texas. The family says he died young but no cause of death is mentioned. A George McAdams is listed as a member of the militia from Montgomery County in 1842. This group joined General Somervell's expedition which was organized in San Antonio. Jackson Smith (married to Jane Evalina McAdams) was also a member of this group which leads one to speculate that this is our family's George.

Drucilla McAdams
BORN: 1825 in Alabama
DIED: About 1855 in Walker Co., Tx.
MARRIED: Hugh H. Stephenson, July 30, 1846 in Walker Co., Tx.
John Hilliard Stephenson b. 1848 d. 1928
Martha Jane Stephenson b. Feb. 10, 1849 d. July 10, 1910

Drucilla was a small girl when the family moved from Alabama to Sabine Co., Tx. She was the youngest child in this large family. In Walker Co. she met and married Hugh Stephenson and their marriage certificate is the first one recorded in Marriage Record Book I in Walker Co. Her husband died leaving her with two small children and she is found living with her widowed mother when the 1850 census was taken. Some five years later Drucilla died and the family said she was buried near her father in the family's private burial ground. Her brother, John McAdams and his wife took Hill and Martha into their home to live with their expanding family. They grew up with their cousins and in 1870 were residing with their cousins John Robert McAdams and his wife, Elizabeth. Martha married Reubin Joseph Alphin from Arkansas and they moved to Karnes Co., Tx. Some of their descendents lived in Walker Co., however. Hill never married. He is remembered by cousins as a man who walked throughout the area because he never accepted automobiles. In later years he lived in a small hotel in Bedias, Grimes Co. and sold subscriptions to magazines for his livelihood.

Many thanks to Mary Frances Payne Murphy for compiling these biographical sketches.

This is your heritage

Scout attends jamboree
Ralston Dorn, Ruth McAdams Ralston’s grandson, spent two weeks over the Christmas holidays at the 19th World Scouting Jamboree outside Santiago, Chile. The event which is held every four years attracted 33,000 scouts from 187 countries. Ralston was one of 1,300 young men representing the United States as part of the BSA delegation.

During his two week adventure in the summer heat of Chile, Ralston interacted with many scouts — his favorites being from Belgium, Malta, Switzerland, and Japan. He assisted in a work project benefiting a small Chilean village and took day trips into the Andes via white-water rafting and horseback. After the jamboree, he spent a few days with his troop in the city of Santiago visiting governmental, historical, and cultural sites. It was quite an experience for a 13 year old! Be sure and ask him more about it when you see him in April!

Thanks to Rebecca Ralston Dorn for this story.