Hiram A. McAdams

Jennie Robbins - Alice Rebecca Williamson

Newsletter - December 1998

The Children of John McAdams, Sr. and Martha Rodgers
In 1991, Mary Frances Murphy documented the children of John McAdams, Sr. Those children were James, Elizabeth, Mary (Polly), Joseph, Nancy, John, Jr. (our ancestor), Martha (Patsey), William, Jane Evalina, George, and Drucilla. The first five children are featured in this issue of the newsletter. In subsequent issues we will feature the remaining children.

Unfortunately, John McAdams, Sr. died shortly before the U.S. Census of 1850 was conducted in Walker County, Texas. From his record we would have learned the place of his birth. His children agreed in statements made at different times to different people that he was born in Ireland. John gave his age as 55 when asked on the First Census of Texas in 1834. This would have meant his birth occurred in 1779. He died in January of 1850 and is buried in a small family plot in Walker County. His wife, Martha Rodgers, told the census taker she was born in South Carolina and stated that she was 49 in 1834, so this would mean her birth date was about 1785. She died while visiting her daughters in Jacksonville in 1852 and the exact location of her grave site can not be proved.

James McAdams
Born: 1804 or 1805
Died: October 1837 in Sabine County, Texas
Married: Elizabeth Levandall on February 2, 1828 in Tuscaloosa County, Alabama
Children: William, Lucinda, John, and possibly Mary

James and Elizabeth settled in Sabine County, Texas. on Patroon Bayou along with his parents. He was riding horseback to Milam when ambushed and killed by a band of men in October, 1837. His father, John,Sr. applied for a land grant in January,1838 but William Defee acted as administrator of James' estate and secured his land grant.

Elizabeth remarried soon after to Richard Devinney who might have also come from Alabama. They were parents of a son, Ebenezer or Ebville born in Texas in 1839 and moved to Natchitoches, Louisiana. From census records it appears they had two other children born in Louisiana. In Natchitoches Parish there are records of two sales of property by the sheriff in the 1850's. One would guess that Richard Devinney failed to pay taxes on this land.

James McAdams was buried in an unmarked grave on Patroon Bayou along with his brother, Joseph McAdams. The site has not been positively located. The family tradition is that William McAdams was killed in the Civil War along with his half brother, Eb Devinney. No descendants have been located.

The name Devinney is spelled variously: DeVinez, Divini, Devina, Divinney. There is a Second Class Certificate issued by the Sabine County Land Commissioners to Ebenezer Deviriney #39 for 640 acres and claims he emigrated in September,1837.

Elizabeth McAdams
Born: July 8, 1806 in S.C. (her statement on 1850 & 1860 census) KY. (her son's claim)
Died: Feb. 8, 1895
Buried: Rancho Cemetery, Gonzales County, Texas
Married: George Gallaspy (Spelled Gillespie by sons)
Children: John, Priscilla, James C., William, George

George left the family in Alabama. and immigrated to Texas in 1835. He claimed to have fought in Texas Revolution but was denied a Bounty Warrant. George received a 1476 acre grant in Sabine County but located in present day Panola County on either side of the Sabine River. This is the 1/3 league granted to all single men who immigrated before the Revolution.

After a time Elizabeth heard that George had been killed in battle and so she remarried. Her marriage to Henry Reed in Tuscaloosa took place on the 13th of Nov. in 1838 and is recorded in Tuscaloosa Marriage Book dated 1-2-1837 to 2-9-1843. Family tradition tells that one night Elizabeth dreamed that George was still alive and it was so vivid that she sent her oldest son to Texas to find out about his father. On the road to Texas John Gillespie is supposed to have met George returning to Alabama. They went back to Tuscaloosa together and there George and Henry Reed discussed the situation. Henry decided the only thing for him to do was leave.

Sometime in the 1840's George and Elizabeth moved to Walker County, Texas. Their daughter, Priscilla married John Milton Dickey in Alabama. and they lived for a while in Choctaw County, Mississippi. For a short while they lived on the Red River near Mansfield, Louisiana. before arriving in Walker County in time to be listed on the 1850 census. George was called for jury duty in Walker County in March 1849 but was excused because of poor health. When the 1850 census was taken Elizabeth is listed as a widow. About four or five years later Elizabeth moved on west with her sons and daughter Priscilla Dickey's family. They lived at various times in Gonzales and Wilson Counties. Many of their descendants are still in the area.

The story is told of how Elizabeth McAdams Gillespie traveled back to Alabama to visit. Train travel was something new for her. She got there all right but somewhere on the return trip she forgot who she was and where she was going. The only information she could supply the Conductor was that her son was Post Master somewhere in Texas. The train crew put their heads together and wired Washington for a list of Texas' Post Masters to be sent to a station they would reach later. The list arrived on schedule and the Conductor began reading off the names. When he read "James C. Gillespie, Rancho" Mrs. Gillespie pricked up her ears, "That's my James," she said. So they tagged the old lady with her name and the depot closest to Rancho so she would reach home safely.

Mary McAdams
Born: 1808 in Tennessee or Kentucky
Died: 1857 in Walker Co., Tx.
Married: (1) John Williams May 17, 1824 Tuscaloosa, Ala. (2) Wilson Price Sept. 20, 1834 Tuscaloosa, Ala.
William Archibald Williams b. June 3, 1826 d. Sept. 14, 1916
Mary Jane Williams b. about 1830
Thomas Williams b. about 1836
Wilson Alonza Price b. March 7, 1843 d. May 13, 1926
Cicero Price b. about 1841
John Price b. about 1848

Mary, called Polly by her family, was born in an area claimed at various times by Kentucky and Tennessee. Because of this uncertainty both states are given as her birthplace. Polly was married at age 16 not long after the family moved to Tuscaloosa. She and John Williams were parents of three children before he died. Her parents and all of her siblings except Elizabeth Gillespie had moved to Sabine Co., Tx. by this time.

Polly married a second time in Tuscaloosa a man named Wilson Price. Three more children were born to her. Sometime during the early 1850's Polly made the move west by boat out of Mobile to Galveston bringing her children to live near her relatives. Her husband was not with her. She is named on the 1854 Walker Co. Scholastic list as having children enrolled in school there. She secured a land grant and was just getting settled when she died in 1857. She was buried in a rock covered grave next to her sister-in-law, Hester McAdams in the McAdams Cemetery.

Her oldest son, William Williams, was quite independent and left home at an early age. He worked in Montgomery and in 1849, along with a cousin, traveled to Texas where he finally settled in Gonzales Co. Family tradition tells of a brother killed by Indians in Kerr Co. during the eight year period in the 1860's when William lived there. His brother Thomas is listed on the Walker Co. 1860 census as head of the household along with Mary Jane and the younger Price children. Perhaps Thomas joined William in Kerr Co. after his siblings were old enough to care for themselves.

Younger brother, Wilson joined Elmore's Regiment of the Texas Infantry serving in the Civil War along with his cousin, Hiram McAdams. Wilson later lived in Madisonville, Texas. where he raised a family. He owned a prosperous business selling saddles, harnesses and buggies. Cicero Price also worked in Kerr Co. for a period of time but moved back to Walker Co. As far as we know, he never married.

Joseph McAdams
Born: 1811
Died: Between 1834-1837 Sabine Co., Texas

Joseph is not listed with his parents in 1830 Alabama census but in 1834 resides with John and Martha McAdams in Sabine Co., Texas. He was unmarried. Family says he died of pneumonia. His father filed for land for Joseph's estate in 1838 before the Sabine County Land Commissioners and was granted 1/3 league which was located in present day Panola and Shelby counties.

Unfortunately this is all we know about Joseph.

Nancy McAdams
Born: March 26, 1814 Tennessee
Died: After 1890 Cherokee or Walker Co. , Tx.
Married: (1) Joseph Smith, Nov. 24, 1832 in Greene Co., Ala.
Parents of one son, Joseph born in 1333. He may have taken the Kimbro name.
Married: (2) Lemuel Kimbro, August 4, in 1846 Walker Co. , Tx.
Parents of one son., Martin Luther, born in 1848.

Nancy experienced many sad events in her life. She was apparently widowed soon after coming to Texas and she and her son lived with her parents. Her second marriage was to Lemuel Kimbro, an illiterate man who aspired for more than he was able to provide.

He came to Texas and fought in the Texas Revolution and then served as a sergeant in the Mexican War. Nancy and Lemuel moved to Cherokee County when the Ragsdales and Smiths settled there. In 1857 Lemuel appeared in court in Rusk, the county seat, to ask the judge to appoint him as guardian for Martin who owned a small estate consisting of land. The family lived on this tract of land and evidently had a struggle making a living.

Lemuel returned to the probate court in 1862 and asked for permission to sell the land so the family could move back to Walker County. He told the judge that Martin had little education and they felt if they bought a home site in Walker County, there would be more opportunities for schooling. The judge approved the petition and Lemuel sold 376 acres to James Wright in November of 1862. We think they made the move soon after.

Lemuel died in 1868 but the place of burial is now a mystery. By 1870 Nancy was living in Madison Co. with her son, Martin, his wife, Martha Brimberry and their two children. Sometime in the mid 1870's Martin moved his family to Wilson County near his cousins, the Gillespies. Nancy remained in Walker County and is found in 1878 applying for a pension from the state claiming that she was in indigent circumstances and that her husband had served in the Army during the Texas Revolution in Captain William Kimbro's company.

Not long after this Martin Kimbro was committed to the State Lunatic Asylum as it was then called. Martha Kimbro returned to Madison Co. and obtained a divorce in 1881. Martin lived the rest of his days in Austin claiming his cousin, John Gillespie of Gonzales Co. as his correspondent.

Again in 1883 Nancy was an applicant for a pension from the state. She filed this application in Cherokee County with the help of her brother-in-law, W.J. Ragsdale. She swore that her total property consisted of a pony horse worth $30 and almost $100 in cash. One incident which gives us a glimpse of Nancy is recorded in an account of a meeting of Texas Revolutionary veterans in Temple in 1888. She was described as having a peculiar style of dress and unsophisticated manner. She spoke from the stage inviting the group to come to Jacksonville for their next meeting. This amused the crowd attending.

Nancy was still living in 1890 when her brother John mentions her in a letter he wrote. It is not recorded for us to know the time and place of her death.

Many thanks to Mary Frances Payne Murphy for compiling these biographical sketches. We will continue with John Sr.'s remaining children in a future issue of the newsletter.

Family Letters
There are few records that can characterize individuals as well as personal letters. In an attempt make some of our ancestors more animate, we offer the following letters. These are true transcripts. The original spelling, punctuation, and grammar have been preserved.

Letter from Ruth McAdams to Era McAdams - Written on April 17, 1923 or 1924

Note: At the time this letter was written, Ruth was living in Huntsville with her sister Clara and was attending Sam Houston State. The exact year of the letter is uncertain, but Ruth, at the time was either 18 or 19 years old.

Mon. Morn

Dearest Era:

I thought sure I would get a letter from you this morning but did not. Just think, seven more weeks & I'll be home. Joe is at home. It seems like a year since I've seen you. Are you going to be at home this summer? If you are I'll stay there but if you are not I'm still coming to school cause it's too lonesome there unless you have someone to talk to. I didn't know Vernon was so good looking until he slipped up on me that day. The 21st is our Fri. but I think they are going to give Sat. & if they do I'm gonna get Joe to come after us. He can get Mr. Thompson's car. Mr. Thompson doesn't have time to come because he can not get anyone to stay in the store while he is gone.

Arnold Bracewell is at home now. If I were him I'd be afraid of the K.K.K.

I have got to where I like Willie Mae now but at first I could not stand her. She was silly. This Mrs. Jones that lives right here phoned over here one nite & told Clara to make us be quiet. It made Clara mad. It's none of her old business what we do. We were just laughing a little & if Clara doesn't care it's none of Mrs. Jones business.

The Union meeting started yesterday & they are having it at the cotton ware house. This singer isn't half a good as the one they had at home.

Well I must close. Have you got you another petticoat yet or have you fixed that one so you could wear it? If you are not using it you can just send it to me if you want to "I wouldn't get mad a bit"

Well by-by,

Letter from Hiram A. McAdams to Alice Williamson

Written February 15, 1891 in Huntsville, Texas

Note: When this letter was written, Hiram McAdams was 46 years old. Alice Williamson was 23 (she would be 24 on March 9). They would be married eleven months later on January 22, 1892. The readability of this letter leaves a lot to be desired because no end of sentence punctuation was used.

Huntsville Feb 15-91 not the 14

Miss-Alice Williamson

Dear Friend with pleasure to night I wil answer your highly apreciated letter of 3 inst which was carefully red and re red because I thought that you had mistaken what I ment when I said a broken hart I didn't mean that I was offended at you but ment why wil you treat me so indifert when you know that there is no one else that ocupies the position that you do in my hart Just revurse the care and think if you had all of your afection placed on a objeot that you knew was worthy and then you was treated indifunt wouldnt you feel grived over it Miss Alice in regard to what I said about my expressing my self too fully I have always had utmos confidence in you but I hird a remark the other day that mad me feel like that thare was something out but I guess that I was too fast in my speculations as I find my self often If I am too fast in accusing you rongfully I beg pardon and hope that you wil for give me in regard to calling I wanted to call to day but didn't have a chance to let you know therefore as next Sunday is our preaching day I can't call until the 1 Sunday in March unless I call in the weak if I can I am going to call the last of this weak if you don't care

Say Saturday evning that is the day that the darkes wants to call but in this case you must excuse me I will not look for an answer in as you wont have time to write I am as ever your true friend so by by

H A McAdams

Kirkin O’ Tartan
From the Estes Park, Colorado Trail-Gazette, Friday, August 28, 1998

A kirkin service is more of an American custom than one imported from Scotland, although its roots come from Scottish custom and tradition.

When the English defeated the Scottish supporters of Bonnie Prince Charlie at the battle of Culloden in 1746, they outlawed the wearing of any tartan material. Also prohibited were the wearing of any kilts, the playing of bagpipes and the bearing of arms. The English saw the bans as expressions of and catalysts for the Scots' warlike behavior, especially as expressed in rebellion against the crown. So the tartan became more than a symbol of aggressiveness or a military uniform for identification in battle. Instead it was associated with the clan, the clan’s territory and the clan's way of life.

Clan is a Gaelic word for 'children' (of a common ancestor), and the tartan material was a symbol of that family. Both family and kin were powerful elements in all Scottish culture, and to ban the tartan was to deny clan ties.

Tradition holds that under the ban, male heads of families would carry a piece of tartan (small enough to be held between the thumb and forefinger) to the kirk, or church. Thus the worship services always included a long prayer that referred to "forebears" and the "communion of saints." During the prayer, the head of the family or clan would hold the small piece of tartan in his fingers and remember the members of the clan and family who had died before him.

Consequently, the ideas of clan, family, and kin were kept alive, and their association with the tartan was maintained and strengthened.

Note: The McAdams clan was a "sept" or subgroup of the larger McGregor clan and did not have a tartan of its own. The McAdams clan in Scotland probably used the McGregor tartan, although this has not been conclusively established.

Flash from Stuart Sibley
Rachel Ann Sibley graduated from Baylor University on August 16, 1998.
Attagirl, Rachel!! Go Bears!!

The Hiram A. McAdams Family internet site has moved!
The Hiram A. McAdams Family web site has been up and running for almost two years now. During that time it has received nearly 16,000 "hits", and it is being used daily by genealogical researchers from all over the world. In order to expand the site we needed more computer server space, and in the process of obtaining that space also acquired the unique name of "www.mcadams.org." The site was moved in early September to this new address, and during the move we made several upgrades to the content of the site.

One of the most significant upgrades was the inclusion of all the newsletters for reading online. This project is still in the construction phase, but the first three issues of this newsletter are currently posted with other issues to follow very soon.

Take a look at the new site at http://www.mcadams.org/ and experience a total immersion into the Hiram McAdams family. Also, take pride in the fact that we now own the unique name, "mcadams.org."

Stories from our past
These remembrances of Hiram A. McAdams by his grandchildren were compiled by Mary Frances Payne Murphy for the McAdams Reunion, 1995.

Marilyn McAdams Sibley:
But if any provide not for his own, and specially for those of his own house, he hath denied the faith, and is worse than an infidel. (I Timothy Ch.5, v.8)

Provider is certainly one word which should be used to describe Hiram McAdams. He was a strong believer in family ties and did his best to provide not only for his large family, but also for those who were in need. He was not a wealthy man but he was fortunate to accumulate a sizable amount of land. By hard work he used the resources to produce what was a comfortable living in the early days and still care for the land. It was his care and foresight that enabled him to pass his home land on to his children.

We know relatively little about his early life except the facts handed down from our parents. Hiram's mother, Hester White McAdams, died when he was four years old and he was never close to his White relatives who lived in Leon County. His father, John McAdams,Jr., married Mary Frances Bankhead and it was she who raised Hiram, his three brothers, one sister and eleven children of her own. It was a large and lively family community.

In the neighborhood were also several cousins including Hill Stevenson, Wilson Price, Bill Ragsdale and Martin Kimbro. The young people lived an active life with many simple pleasures. They enjoyed games, fishing, horses, church activities, local socials as well as helping with the necessary chores.

Schooling was very primitive and Hiram probably was not able to attend more than four or five years of school. Despite this lack of education, he was always interested in learning and worked throughout his life to see that his children and others around them were provided educational opportunities.

Hiram began early to acquire and develop land so he could follow his father's example and become a successful stock raiser. He was content in Walker County and never wanted to "move on" as his grandfather, John was prone to do. Some of his cousins moved west to Gonzales but he showed no inclination to travel. If he ever visited them or relatives in .Jacksonville we do not know about it.

John McAdams was opposed to secession when Texas left the Union and did not want his sons to join the Confederate forces. As long as he was able, he paid for substitutes to fill in for his sons and son-in-law. Marilyn McAdams Sibley relates what happened when in May of 1864 the Confederate States of America enacted the first draft law within the United States boundries.

Hiram and his brothers, John and William were officially enrolled in the CSA and the records are in the Archives at Washington, D.C. His enrollment, dated May 3, 1864, shows him to be 18 years old with blue eyes, light hair, fair complexion and five feet and eleven inches tall. It states further that he was born in Walker Co., Texas and that he was a stockraiser by occupation. It is my opinion I that he grew several inches after age 18, for I recall him as very tall with very erect carriage even in his late years. After his enrollment, the next mention of him in the Archives, says that he was "absent without leave" from May 27, 1864. This would bear out the family tradition that in the last year of the war when Hiram wanted to enlist, his father sent him with old Calvin, a slave, to Mexico with a caravan of cotton wagons and that the war ended before he returned. As those wagons were pulled by oxen or mules over trails rather than roads, it was a long, slow journey.

Vernon McAdams (taped interview, 1976)
T'he countryside out around the Old Place looks quite different today than it did when I was young. It was more open, with less trees than we have now. Poppa had cattle all over the open country and piney woods, from Pine Creek down by Hopewell, all along the South Bedias creek to the forks of the North and South Bedias Creeks on the Madisonville to Huntsville road.

We didn’t go to Huntsville very often. I did go with Poppa by horseback when he went to pay his taxes. We would spend the night there before returning to the old place.

Mary McAdams Payne
Mama made my dresses and Poppa would buy shoes for us when he went to Huntsville. You can imagine that the fit was not always good, but we wore them anyway.

Poppa loved company. One night when I was fourteen years old, a preacher drove up about dusk and asked if we could take a belated traveler. I said, "No." When my father found it out, he ran down the road and caught the man.

One night I remember Poppa decided to have a little fun with the hired Negro men, so he soaked some corn cobs in coal oil and lighted them and put a sheet around him, two of the lighted cobs in each hand and one in his mouth and went in the bunk house to scare them. Itg frightened them so until they ran away that night and had to be hunted up the next day.

At Christmas time, it was the custom for children to celebrate with fireworks. One year, Horace and I begged Poppa to buy us some fireworks like the other children had. He was sitting in front of the fireplace at the Old Place. He said, "So you want some fireworks. Well, here are your fireworks." And with that he took a $10 bill and threw it into the flames.

Vernon McAdams (taped interview, 1976)
Our sugar cane syrup was stored in barrels. At the bottom of the barrel, the syrup would crystallize and turn into "rock candy". When the older boys would go to Ft. Worth to take a load of cows to market, Momma would get them to bring back a pint of whiskey for medicinal purposes. Remember, Poppa wouldn't allow any drinking whiskey to be used around him. Momma would mix some of that whiskey in a container with that hard "rock candy and give a teaspoon of it as medicine for us when we got the croup.

When the boys were staying at the Old Place and working the cattle, Poppa would sometimes come out there and stay the night with us. He would wake up in the middle of the night and, if anyone so much as wiggled a toe, he would be up and calling you. If you answered him, he would talk to you the rest of the night. We learned not to make any noise during the night. He went to bed early, right at dark, and woke up early.

Carl Luther McAdams
Carl Luther remembers in the 1920's when he was a teenager that he worked at the Old Place along with Uncle Joe and Uncle Vernon. Grandpa would be there working and "overseeing" the boys. He recalls riding down in the pasture with Grandpa to round up some cattle and there was one old, wild cow that no one could do anything with. Carl Luther managed to get a rope on her but she took off with the rope trailing behind. Grandpa was not able to catch her but told Carl Luther not to worry as Frank would be along soon. Sure enough Frank came down the road driving some cattle to the railroad and Grandpa called to him to help. Frank had quite a reputation as a real cowboy and it must have been deserved as he was able to spur his horse and ride up beside the wild cow and grab the rope off her horns

Ed note: The corn cob story keeps popping up. The same basic story has been related time and time again by Hiram’s grandchildren. We will continue this series of remembrances in future issues of the newsletter

McAdams Family in Mammoth Reunion
The following is a summary of a newspaper account of the second McAdams reunion. as reported in the Huntsville Item - 1936.

McAdams, Guerrants, Bankheads and their kin from all over Texas gathered at the Josey Scout Lodge in Huntsville Sunday for the second annual reunion of the McAdams. Guerrants and Bankheads are related to the McAdams family by marriage and were guests at the reunion. The high point of the ceremonies for the day was at noon when Mrs. Mattie McAdams Roberts, celebrating her sixty-fifth birthday, cut a huge birthday cake with a sword used by her great-great uncle, Hiram McAdams, in the American Revolution.

Dedicating the meeting to the four remaining daughters of John McAdams: Mrs. Caroline McAdams Wilson, Mrs. Theodocia McAdams Wilson, Mrs. Margaret McAdams Barron and Mrs. Mattie McAdams Roberts, some five hundred joined the all day celebration.

At a short business session, the assembly decided to buy five acres near the old McAdams cemetery, 14 miles from Huntsville, where the reunion will be held from now on. The McAdams', Guerrants and Bankheads are among the oldest families in Texas. In 1834, these families settled in Walker County, and from the original families there have sprung some of the most noted and highly honored men and women of Texas. The older families have married and intermarried until they are kin in some way or other to almost everybody in the county.

John Clifton McAdams
1916 -- 1998

This is an eulogy given by John’s son, William Carlton McAdams, on behalf of the family at the funeral service in the McAdams chapel.

John Clifton McAdams was born to Carl and Pearl McAdams on November 11, 1916, in Bedias, Texas. John grew up in the countryside of Walker, Madison, and Grimes counties. He always loved working with cattle and hogs. His life-long dream was to be a cattle rancher, but I guess the advent of marriage and the economic realities of raising five kids put that dream on hold.

In the early 1930’s, with economic times as they were, John joined the CCC (Civilian Conservation Corps.), as did many young men of that day. His duty led him far away from his beloved Walker county to a mountainous area of southwestern Colorado. There, he met and subsequently married Wilma Virginia Kuenzler. From this union were born five children: Mickey, Billy, John, Phyllis, and Shirley, all of whom are here today. John tried his hand at various jobs after the CCC, including fence building for Charlie Redd in the mountains of Colorado to managing a cattle ranch in Norwood, Colorado. Eventually, he headed back toward his East Texas roots, with stops along the way in Sugarland, Brazoria, and finally Texas City, where he worked at a crude oil refinery. During this time, he also worked in Venezuela for some 14 months. With the extra money, he opened a small café in Texas City. After operating this business for about 8 or 9 years, he sold out and with the kids out on their own by this time, he and Wilma moved back to Huntsville in 1969, where he opened a trailer park. This was to be John’s last move. He had finally returned to his beloved Walker county where his roots and family will always be. Today we gather to celebrate the life of John McAdams.

John was a humble and modest man, working two jobs most of the time to support his wife and children. He never sought glory or fame, but never shied away from it. One noteworthy event happened to John back in the 1970’s when a cow he owned gained fame by predicting the weather. A local newsman started a weather predicting contest pitting the National Weather Service against John’s cow, Brahmer. The contest made the Houston news and eventually got the attention of the Johnny Carson show. John made an appearance on the Johnny Carson show and was one of the few guests that took over the show. This was John’s day in the sun. He did not let this moment of fame go to his head. He remained the modest and humble man that he was, leading the quiet life of a one cow cattle rancher. John was preceded in death by his cow, Brahmer.

John will be remembered and missed by those that he touched.

At the graveside ceremony, the minister began the ceremony by talking about his brief acquaintance with John. He said that "John was a kind man who believed in the old code: his word and handshake was worth more than any piece of paper."

The following is the obituary of John McAdams from the Huntsville newspaper:

Funeral services for John Clifton McAdams, 82, of Huntsville are set for Saturday, November 21, 1998, at 2:00 p.m. at McAdams Chapel under the direction of Huntsville Funeral Home. Burial will be at McAdams Cemetery. Pallpearers are John Michael McAdams, Fred Elder, Joe LaRue, Carlton McAdams, Eddie McAdams and Sid Frazier.

Mr. McAdams was born November 11, 1916, in Walker County and passed away November 18, 1998 in St. Lukes Hospital in houston. He was the owner of the famous weather forcasting cow. He appeared on the Johnny Carson Show on May 7, 1975 because of the cow's notoriety.

He was a member of the John McAdams family which was one of the founding families of Walker County. He met Wilma Kuenzler of Cortez, Colorado while working in the CCC camps during the early 1940's. They were married on January 20, 1940, in Aztec, New Mexico. They moved from Texas City to Huntsville in 1969. He was owner/operator of Pin Oak Trailer Park. The phrase that describes him best is, "If it moved, he hreased it. If it didn't move, he painted it.

Suvivors include wife, Wilma McAdams, of Huntsville, son and daughter-in-law, Micky and Linda McAdams, son and daughter-in-law, Bill and Phyllis McAdams, son, John McAdams, daughter and son-in-law, Phyllis and Joe LaRue, daughter and son-in-law, Shirley and Fred Elder, brother, Carl Luther McAdams, brother, Lewis McAdams, grandchildren: Michelle Welsh, John Michael McAdams, K'Lyn Meier, Carlton McAdams, Cheryl McAdams, and Kathryn Elder, great grandchildren: Robbie Welsh, Sean Welsh and Spencer mcadams, and a very special person in his life, Rosalee McAdams.

Visitation will be Friday, November 20, 1998, from 5-7 p.m. at Huntsville Funeral Home.

Flash – additions to family
Clayton Alan Cole was born on September 27, 1998, in Tyler, Texas. Alan ('88) and Camille ('88) Cole are the parents of this Class of 2020 Fighting Texas Aggie. Charles ('61) and Cynthia Cole are the proud grandparents. Clayton is the great grandson of Charlie Cole ('21) and Ruth McAdams and the great-great grandson of Hiram A. McAdams and Alice Williamson. Clayton has one brother, Mason Lee ('17).

Hannah Lee Wright was born on September 16, 1997. Hannah is the daughter of Derrick and Cynthia Jean Hughes Wright . Charles and Barbara Hughes are the proud grandparents, and Robbie Lee Hughes is the extra proud great-grand mother. Hannah is the great-great-great grandaughter of Hiram A. McAdams and Jennie Robbins.

And to continue...

Want to have your kid or grandkid highlighted here? Well, it is easy to do. Just let one of us know (last page for contact information), and we will be happy to publish whatever you submit. We are not mind readers, however. We can't publish what we don't know. Please keep us informed. Send us a picture and we'll even publish that!

There is a twofold purpose for this request. First, and more obvious, you get to toot your own horn. Second, and not so obvious but much more important is that the new addition to the family gets a place in the master family database. This may not seem important now, but it will be in several hundred years when some future McAdams is madly trying to piece together information about our family. The information we need is:

Child's full name.
Father and mother full names.
Date of birth.
City, County, State of birth

In return we'll make sure you get the next issue of this newsletter for free..... Bottom line: if a name is missing from the sidebars in this newsletter, then we have absolutely no information on that person.