Hiram A. McAdams

Jennie Robbins - Alice Rebecca Williamson

Newsletter - December 1997

Vernon’s Story
From an interview with William Vernon McAdams in 1976. This interview was recorded and transcribed by Thomas Hiram McAdams and Jo Beth McAdams Stutts.

On Jan. 13, 1901, I was born in the northwest part of Walker County to H. A. McAdams and Alice Williamson McAdams. Since my father was a rancher, I had a very interesting life. I am the only surviving son of the six boys. On April 4, 1925, Annie Cureton and I were married in Huntsville. The preacher who married us was Brother Andrews, the father of Dana Andrews, the movie star. Anita Glynn was born in 1926 at Round Prairie while I was teaching there. Four years later, Bill was born there. I taught there several years after teaching for a year at Rye in the Big Thicket. I then taught at John Conn and in Lavaca county for 5 years and then came back to Grimes county. I taught at Pankey for 7 years before moving to Bedias, where I was Superintendent for 17 years. During that time, on October 6, 1944, Virginia Ann was born in Bedias. I went to Madisonville after Bedias lost its school and was high school principal for three years before I retired. Annie died of Hodgkin’s disease on February 18, 1970. I have four grandchildren.

Old Home Place 1905 - The Cotton Gin
When I was small, my father owned a cotton gin. In order to get to that gin from our house, I had to go down a hill and across a spring branch to get to it. I liked to play in the gin but when some of the other boys were working at the gin and saw me coming, they would blow the gin whistle, which would scare me and I would run back up the hill to the house. But if I ever got across the branch before they blew the whistle, it wouldn’t scare me and I would go on into the gin and play all day.

Old Luby Merchant carried the cotton from the gin stand to the press by hand. He would put it in an old screw press and tramp it with his feet. When he got the press just about full of cotton, we would run and jump in it and play in the cotton. One day, Floyd Roberts beat all of us to the press and jumped in. This time the cotton hadn’t been packed and he sunk all the way to the bottom of the press underneath the cotton. He started squalling and Luby had to jump in and get him out.

When it came time for me to go to school, I rode with my brothers and sisters to the Wolf Hill school house. The teacher at Wolf Hill then was Mary Baldwin McAdams. The Wolf Hill school was north of the Old Place about 3 or 4 miles. It was a one teacher school, and is located near the John Wells place and east of Aunt Cat Wilson’s house. In that whole first year of school, I must of gone to school about 3 or 4 times. One day I rode a mare to school called "Old Hip." While I was at school that day, "Old Hip" had a colt and I thought the world had come to an end. I didn’t know how I was going to get home but after the others found out about the colt, I rode with them home. Later, after my daddy moved us to Bedias, in 1908, when I started to school there they asked me what grade I was in. I told them I was in Floyd Roberts’ grade because he had moved there the year before.

"Batching" at the Old Home Place
After we moved to Bedias, sometimes my parents would go back to the Old Home Place and stay awhile. Other times we could stay there if some of the family was there. Most of the time we had to do some "batching," which meant finding fresh meat and cooking for ourselves. We would leave Poppa’s house in Bedias on Monday morning and work all week at the Old Home Place, returning to Bedias on Friday night. It was a distance of about 10 miles and took about 3 hours on horseback.

"Mountain Oysters"
Several years later, Joe, Horace, Floyd Roberts and I had been working cattle one day and afterward we cooked up a platter of "mountain oysters." We were seated at the table eating when Clara and Jeanette came in. Jeanette asked us what we were eating. We told her it was "mountain oysters." Of course, Clara knew what we were eating and wouldn’t eat any. But, Jeanette didn’t know and sat down and ate as many as we did. She got outside and Clara told her what she had eaten. She got real mad at us and hasn’t gotten over that incident yet! She finally did admit later that they tasted good. They were batter-fried just like real oysters.

A Whipping
Old Place - One day I ran under the house to avoid a whipping Poppa said he was going to give me for something I had done. Poppa told Joe to get under the house and drag me out. But Joe was afraid I was going to hit him if he tried so he refused to do it. Finally, Poppa started whipping Joe to get him to come after me. Joe finally did haul me out from under there and I got a whipping then.

Chewing Gum
When we were young, we would take pine resin, cook it to get the turpentine out of it, and then we took "stretch" berries and mixed them with the resin to make chewing gum. We would chew on that till our jaws gave out and then cut it into two pieces and chew on those parts awhile, continuing to do that until we finally got a small piece of "chewing" gum.

What are "stretch" berries?

Christmas Time
At Christmas time, Poppa would soak some corn cobs in kerosene and tie long wires to the cobs and then tie them to his hands, feet and head. He would set them afire, get a cow bell and come down the road by the house scaring the Negroes and all of us kids to death. We didn’t get much for Christmas then.

Wolf Pup
Old Home Place - One day Frank McAdams was driving cows when a wolf got after his cow dogs. He knew that there must be some wolf puppies nearby, so he hunted until he located them. Two times that I know of, he came to the house and got some shovels and Negroes to help him and took me with him one time and dug the wolf puppies out of their den. He would bring them back with him and give them to the Negroes. Another time, Frank sent his dog, "Old Doc," into a wolf den they found. That dog wouldn’t go in so Frank shoved him on into the den and he soon came out dragging a half-grown wolf pup. The Negroes carried it to the house and chained it to that old tree that still stands by the well. When the chickens would get up early in the morning and start walking around, that wolf pup would catch them. Momma got tired of losing her chickens, so she made us get rid of that wolf.

Drinking From a Spring
Joe and I went cow hunting over on the Scales ranch land once by ourselves. We went to an old spring for a drink while we were over that way. There were boards spread over the spring and one was missing so that you could put head down between them and drink that old sulfur water. Of course, Joe was the first to drink since he was the oldest. When my time to drink came, I got down and drank and while I was stooped over drinking, Joe sat on me and pushed my head down in the water. I was mad and told him I was going to whip him when I got up. He continued to sit on me until he saw his horse graze over near us, and then he got up and ran for his horse. Well, I caught him as he was getting on his horse and pulled him down and there in the middle of the Scales ranch we started to fight. He whipped me so bad I wish I hadn’t caught him!

Opening Gates
Another episode like that occurred one time when I was riding with Horace. When we got to a gate, Horace told me to get down and open it because that was the only reason he brought me along. I told him he would have to whip me first before I would open that gate. Before the day was over, when we got to a gate, Horace would get down and open it himself, he was so tired of whipping me.

To be continued in a later edition of the newsletter.

Alete’s Story
From information submitted to Thomas McAdams in 1976.

Alice Cornelia McAdams, daughter of Hiram Augustus McAdams and Jennie Robbins McAdams, was born on November 22, 1876. Alice attended a millinery school in St. Louis, Missouri, around 1900, and later owned a millinery shop in Bedias. It was here that she met the young druggist (now called a pharmacist) who was partner to Burtis Bros. & Thompson. Cuyler Thompson and Alice courted, married and reared their family in Bedias. The drug store was in operation for 50 years under Cuyler Thompson’s direction after he bought the Burtis Bros.’ share in the store. To this marriage of Alice and Cuyler, three children were born: Alete, MayDell, and Cuyler, Jr. They also reared a nephew of Cuyler Thompson, Freeman Heath, as their own son. Grandmother Thompson also lived with them. Alete married Ira Donaldson Wafer. They had four children: Ira Jean, Mary Sue, Don Bryce and Alyce Judene. MayDell married Ivan Cooper. Cuyler, Jr. married Pearl Olive Sadler. They had three children: Bobbie, C. G., and Lee David.

Being a "close knit" family, when Grandpa McAdams (Hiram) moved to Bedias, his children settled near him. Uncle Edgar’s, Aunt Clara’s, and Alice’s families lived within "hollering" distance of each other in Bedias. Naturally, with Grandpa’s younger group of children and the children of the older group, we made a "passel of kids." Such fun as we had making our own entertainment, such as preaching. Floyd Roberts usually delivered the sermon and performed baptisms in the creek back of our houses. Funerals of all cats, birds, chickens, etc. that died, "song fests", crawfishing (including cooking them on the banks of the creek over a fire we made) were a few of the things we did. MayDell was usually the one sent running to the house for frying pan, grease, and corn meal. We had an extra large cast iron stove to use also.

When we divided up teams, "You be the papa today - I’ll be the mama", MayDell again was selected to run fetch items needed for house keeping. But by the time she was back, we had usually decided to play something else, such as "follow the leader" or jump the creek (branch) at the widest point. That was fun till one day one of the followers fell and hit her head after falling short of the distance across the creek. That halted that fun. Sometimes we would form a family circus. We used tubs for drums, wash boards, cow bells, and anything else that made noise. When we put all this together and started our concert, all the dogs, horses, and cattle headed for the "back forty acres." Perhaps our neighbors did also. The circus act was a result of seeing a Barnum & Bailey circus show every fall when it came through and performed for one or two nights in Bedias.

There would be a traveling troupe of actors who also came to town to put on plays. Days after they had gone, our "own troupe" would re-enact what we had seen. "Lena Rivers" was the heroine in one such play, so we took turns being that person. G. B. McAdams seemed to always win out in being the leading male character. He was handsome and winsome as well.

We took a cue from the circus performing animals and tried to do the same with our cats and dog. MayDell always dressed her kitty in doll clothes and strolled her in the doll buggy. One such day while MayDell and Ruby Pyle were pushing their cats and Alete was pulling little Cuyler in his red wagon, out of the blue came a bunch of fast moving horses. MayDell and Ruby ran, leaving their cats to fend for themselves. Of course the "babies" tore out and they later had a time catching them, much less strolling them again in the doll buggy. Alete was petrified by the horse herd and would have run also but had to stay with her brother. The horses ran around us and no one was injured.

Cuyler Jr. just loved horses, like most of the McAdams kids did. When he was 4 or 5 years old and all dressed in his white "goat skin" coat and cap, he decided to drive "old Dollie", Aunt Clara’s horse, by holding on to her tail. "Old Dollie" decided she didn’t want him at her heels, so she kicked back, knocking Cuyler out cold! The result was a cut above his right eye the shape of a horse shoe. The white coat became blood red immediately. Aunt Clara heard him cry out, picked him up and ran to Alice’s house. Dr. L. A. Barnes came quickly and tended to him. Needless to say that scar is still visible, horse shoe shaped, though fainter with the years.

Cuyler would run off many times when he was little to Grandma’s. When he’d get to the gate he’d yell out loud and clear, "Dad gum it, Grandma, open the gate quick, here comes mama." He called his mother Alice "you old tobacco mama." He thought tobacco was a nasty word.

The McAdams children were so fond of each other that when any one was in trouble, they all were quick to defend him/her. One time Grandpa McAdams couldn’t find out who the culprit was so he lined all of them up and whipped each and all of them, saying, "now I’ll get the right one, the one who did it," and he did!

One of Grandpa’s favorite songs was "Lily of the Valley."

I recall so many nights when mama had me to run get Grandma McAdams when Cuyler was sick. He was ill so much, especially at night. I would go almost in a sleepy daze over to Grandma’s house (she always seemed to be awake) and get her to come over to our house and help with Cuyler. She would beat me back to the house.

Once when Aunt Mary McAdams Payne was still a student at college, but home for the weekend, she was heard by Grandma McAdams singing a "risque" song: "Sally in her shimmy tail, Sally in her gown, Sally in her shimmy tail, running through the town." Grandma McAdams almost came unglued, and told Mary, "the idea of you singing such as that before Ruth and Alete."

One day Floyd Roberts made Jeanette mad about something so Jeanette threw a fork at him. The fork stuck in his forehead and upon seeing this and all the blood, she became so frightened she ran. If memory serves me correctly, she ran all the way to the drug store for Uncle Cuyler to protect her.

Jack Langley had an imagination that wouldn’t quit. He was always burying or digging up fire engines, trains, horses and etc. His costume was overalls, belt, tie, and his cowboy hat. When he was called in for supper, he’d say, "Still light enough for just a little more playing time, E.-mama." "Yistriddy" was a big word to him them.

The first night after Aunt Clara and Uncle Buck Roberts married, they came back home to Grandpa McAdams’ house. Grandpa told Frank, the youngest of the older group, to go unhitch Buck’s horse from the buggy, feed him and put him in the lot for the night. Uncle Frank replied, "Oh no, Papa, he won’t stay all night - he never does!"

Larue, Uncle Frank’s daughter, was a little tiny girl when she called Floyd Roberts "Fed". She would ask him, "Fed, your mama got a passall?" My momma has a passall (parasol)." Her pet name about this time was "Toot".

Upon coming home from school the first day, Aunt Clara asked "Who’s the smartest in your class, you or Ruth?" Ruth said, "Me and Alete, but I believe I’m a little bit the smartest."

Returning from his first day at school, Thomas McAdams stopped by the bank in Bedias to give his dad, Joe Horn McAdams, a report. Thomas said, "Daddy, there’s no use in your sending me to school, I can’t even read a word."

Thomas and Don Wafer started a "hot time in Bedias" one day just before lunch time. They piled leaves in big heaps and set fire to them. Between the Thompson house and what was at the time the Baptist parsonage, there was a vacant area that needed cleaning so they set fire to it. The fire got out of hand and all the men downtown had to come running with wet sacks and every available item to beat the fire out. Don and Thomas were white as sheets they were so scared. There was no major damage, just a few leaves and grass and many anxious moments.

Jeanette’s Story
From information submitted to Thomas McAdams in 1976

As you know, my mother, Mrs. Clara Roberts, was the oldest of Grandfather Hiram’s children. She was born on Dec. 27, 1874, and died June 22, 1972. She married W. D. Roberts on Feb. 18, 1896, in the old Woodville church not too far from the McAdams reunion grounds.

To this family, three children were born: Floyd O. Roberts was born on Nov. 3, 1898, Jeanette Roberts Courtney was born on Aug. 31, 1901, and Sally Willie Roberts was born on Sept. 23, 1904, but died in infancy. Our home was a little to the north of Robbie Lee’s place (Uncle Edgar and Aunt Mary’s home site). A few years were spent there in making a happy home but death came and took my father on Nov. 6, 1905. My mother remained on the farm about two years, trying to take care of material things they had acquired together. Then she decided to take her children and move to Bedias, just 13 miles to the west. My father had bought a home there earlier, hoping to move us near a better school.

So many things could be told about our life in the country but one thing I do remember especially. Floyd and I were always out playing in a pine thicket near the house. One day Floyd decided to build me a "play house" out of pine limbs. The "play house" was built and when I got myself comfortably situated on the inside, much to my amazement, he came to the entrance and called, "Sister, you better get out! Your house in on fire!" So, my play house went up in smoke.

I can remember on one Christmas we were all at Grandpa’s house and he decided to have some fun playing Santa Claus. Some how he tied corn cobs on his feet and hands and some way he had a light on his head. He went down the road a piece, lighted his corn cobs, started to ringing a cow bell, and came running to the house. Maybe you think there was not a lot of confusion and excitement!! Our mothers had a hard time explaining that it was Grandpa playing Santa Claus.

When we moved to Bedias the fun began. Auntie Alice and Uncle Cuyler Thompson already lived in Bedias and we lived very close to them. Soon, Grandpa and Grandma McAdams and their six children built their home near where we lived in Bedias. Soon after this, Uncle Edgar’s family and Uncle Frank’s family moved to Bedias. All the children enjoyed playing together. There were fights too but not too serious.

We had an old gray mare named "Dolly" and a small one-seat buggy. Mama would hitch up "Old Dolly" to the buggy and here we would go to visit our relatives in the country as well as in Huntsville. It took all day to go from Bedias to Huntsville and required several stops to let "Dolly" rest and get a drink. We went fairly often to see Uncle Carl and his family. They would remark, "here comes Clara and the children" and he would go immediately and butcher a goat so we could have a good meal. Aunt Pearl was a wonderful cook and we always enjoyed visiting with them.

Since we all lived close together in Bedias, the children of the families would gather and plan their own activities. We had no parks to go to so we had a play ground all our own. A little creek ran back of our house and that is where we had our "revival meeting" in the summer. Usually Floyd was the preacher but sometimes it was Vernon. We picked this place especially so we could baptize our converts. Of course we all joined and Floyd baptized us in the creek near by. We always had a singing session.

When it was time for a circus to come to town, we would have one also. We planned all kinds of stunts, races, trapeze, side shows, etc. One night when all was going well, G. B. was doing a stunt on the trapeze wire and he accidentally fell and cut his foot real bad on a piece of glass. That broke up the circus! To call the kids together for the circus, we beat on a number 3 wash tub and the children would come running. Dr. Luther Barnes complained because he couldn’t keep his children at home to eat their meals once they heard the drum beats.

About once a year, a real circus came through the country. It would have live animals. That was a treat to see the wild animals and I especially remember a large elephant they brought along. Most of the children were able to buy a ticket to go but Floyd and I were not so fortunate. We had our own plan though! Floyd always went to see what he could do to get a ticket. We always had buttermilk, so he offered to sell some to get a ticket. He made a sale for his ticket. In order to get me a ticket, we took one gallon of good, thick milk and added enough water to make two gallons. They were satisfied and we were as well. There are many things I might relate, but time and space do not permit it.

In 1918, my mother moved to Huntsville and boarded college students for several years. She lived there until her death. We all grew up and married and went our separate ways.

Question: Where is the old Woodville church site that is mentioned as the wedding site for Clara McAdams and W. D. Roberts?

Ruth’s Story
From an interview with Ruth McAdams Cole in 1976. This interview was recorded and transcribed by Thomas Hiram McAdams and Jo Beth McAdams Stutts.

I was born on July 12, 1906, at the Old Place in Walker county to H. A. McAdams and Alice Williamson McAdams. I married Charlie Cole, our local doctor then, in 1937. Our son, Charles, was born in Bedias in 1938. Charles now lives in Denton with his wife, Cynthia, and his three boys. He is an airline pilot for Delta Air Lines.

The Day I Was Born
The story that was told to us later about the day I was born was that Poppa and Momma sent Vernon, then 5 ½ years old, up the road to Clara’s house to stay. But, he cried so much they had to bring him back home earlier than planned. When he saw that baby in the bed where he had been sleeping, he started crying and told Momma that this baby was taking his place. He wanted Momma to get rid of the baby.

School Days in Bedias
I was two years old when we moved to Bedias. As the youngest, I was spoiled rotten. I got fat because the boys, who worked downtown for Uncle Tobe Williamson and Uncle Cuyler Thompson, would bring me chocolate candy. When the time came for me to go to school, I can still remember that I cried and Momma cried also. After an hour or so at school, I would have to come home and see Momma for awhile and then go back to school. I’d tell Momma that I came home because I had a stomach ache. This happened all through my first year of school. Before school started the next year, Momma carried me down to see Dr. Luther Barnes, who gave me a good physical exam to make sure that there was nothing wrong with me. Momma was determined to stop me from coming home during the school day. When school started, here I came home again during the first morning. Momma met me at the door with a bottle of Castor Oil. She gave me a dose of that Castor Oil and put me to bed. I didn’t come home during the school day again after that.

Wolf Hill
All of Poppa’s children went to school at Wolf Hill except me. I went to school at Bedias. There was another school not far from the Old Home Place they called the Liberty Springs schoolhouse. It was located where George Woods’ house is now located. I think Kelly taught school there for awhile.

I was 12 years old when Momma died. Era was going off to teach school about that time and Horace and Mary were already married. That left Joe, Vernon, and me at home with Poppa. Joe and Vernon were down at the Old Home Place tending to the cattle most of the time and sometimes Poppa would need to go out to the Old Place also. Well, when he would stay there all night, I would go sleep over at Alice’s house, eat breakfast with them, and then come back home and eat again.

About that time, there was an old Negro woman named Mariah who was always taking care of somebody who needed help. Well, one day I came home and there was Mariah. When she found out that we really needed a woman around the house, she just came and started working for us. She didn’t even ask Poppa if we wanted help. She just took over running the household. She became quite a tradition around our home, almost like one of the family, and there will always be a special place in our hearts for her.

Mariah would listen to my problems and my description of dates I went out on and advise me just like a real mother would. She took care of almost all the grandchildren at one time or another. She was really like a mother to Jack Langley also. Era was going to school then during the daytime and left Jack with Mariah. She really took care of Jack.

Pop and Mariah and the Radio
Poppa and Mariah would listen to the radio all the time, especially the ball games. They knew more about the ball games -the coaches, players, and teams - than anybody else even though they had never seen a real ball game. That was sort of their life. Finally, Joe decided that he was going to take Poppa to see a real ball game when Iola came over to play Bedias in baseball. Well, Poppa made Joe bring him home even before the game was over. He said he didn’t like to watch it. He only liked to listen to them on the radio.

Toast with Mariah
Nobody could make toast as good as Mariah could. She cooked it on an old wood-burning stove and the grandkids could come in Poppa’s house any time of the day and there would be toast there ready for them. The kids would sit and eat toast and sometimes dunk it in coffee and talk to Mariah. Later, I bought an electric stove for our kitchen. We still kept the wood-burning stove that Mariah used in the kitchen with the new one. There was always lots of cats and dogs around the house. Well, one day, we smelled the worst odor coming out of the kitchen. What had happened was that one of those cats had gotten in the house and looked for a nice warm place to sleep. It picked Mariah’s stove to sleep in. Well, Mariah built her a good fire in it to cook for us and just cooked that cat right there in the stove without anybody knowing about it. She discovered it when trying to locate the source of the odor and tried to get it out before any of the kids discovered what happened. But, the odor was all over the house and everyone heard about it.

"Uncle" Hill Stevenson
About that time also, we had a cousin, "Uncle" Hill Stevenson, who was a bachelor. He walked throughout the country selling magazines and books. He walked because he was afraid of cars. He would walk all week long and come back to Bedias on the weekend. He stayed at the Hipp hotel in Bedias. But he would come by our house in Bedias to take a bath. He would pull a wash tub out into the kitchen floor and take a cold bath, no matter how cold it was and no matter who was there. We would have to go to other parts of the house until he finished his bath. He was quite a character. He didn’t like to be called "uncle" and didn’t like Vernon’s bulldog, "Watch", who always tried to bite him.

"Aunt Frank" Washington
Another character was our Negro wash woman, "Aunt Frank" Washington. She washed clothes for us on Monday and for Uncle Tobe Williamson on Tuesday. The more clothes we would put out for her to wash, the more she would fuss. Well, one spring morning, she was sorting the clothes for washing at our house and noted that she didn’t have any long underwear to wash because Poppa had already taken his off. On Tuesday morning, when she was sorting Uncle Tobe Williamson’s clothes, she didn’t find any long underwear in it, so she marched up to Uncle Tobe and said, "Lord God, Tobe, why don’t you take off your long drawers, Hiram took off his two weeks ago."

Christmas in Bedias
Christmas time at our place in Bedias was quite an occasion. We didn’t have many presents because no one had any money, but we couldn’t have had a better time. We saw that all the grandchildren got something. We used my and Era’s old worn silk stockings to hold the candy, fruit, and nuts for the grandchildren. The grandchildren would often spend Christmas eve night at Pop’s house and carry those silk stockings around with them all the next day, eating fruit and candy. On Christmas morning, I can remember hearing Horace and Nevada, Joe and Beth, Edgar and Mary, Alice and Cuyler, and the others coming to Poppa’s house for Christmas dinner. We had some rich times at Poppa’s house on Christmas day when all the clan came over.

A Charitable Man
When we lived at the Old Home Place, Poppa would kill a calf every week and divide it up among all the neighbors. They would have to cook it right away since we didn’t have any kind of refrigeration.

Learning to Ride a Mule
I think all of the family learned to ride first on a mule we had called "Old Kate." One day when I was young, Edgar’s boy, John Gayle, who lived right down the road from Poppa’s house in Bedias, came by the house riding on "Old Kate." He asked me to go riding with him on "Old Kate." Well, at that time girls were not supposed to ride astride the horse like the boys did or even wear pants. Even though we both knew we would get in trouble, I decided to ride on Old Kate with John Gayle. I got up behind him and he put the spurs to Old Kate. We went down the road going 90 miles per hour it seemed and Aunt Becky saw us race by. She came out on her porch and yelled down the road to my mother, "Alice, look what those kids are doing - Old Kate is running away with them and Ruth is astride that mule." Well, everybody thought I had really disgraced myself.

Learning to Drive a Car
We had a T-model Ford when I was young. Everybody could drive it except me. Era was at Poppa’s house then and I kept begging her to teach me to drive it. I warted her about that until finally she had heard enough. Era didn’t lose her temper very often, but this time she was fed up with me. When I told her that I was determined to drive that car even if she didn’t show me how, she told me to "go to it." She didn’t think I could do it because it had a hand-crank starter in front. I went out and turned that hand-crank one time and the motor started. I got in the car and was able to get it moving. I went down the road as far as Anne Bracewell’s house, which was the nearest place where I thought I might be able to get the car turned around, and started back toward town. In the meantime, Era had heard me go off in the car and called Jewel Williamson on our old hand-crank telephone and told her, " Now, Ruth is loose down your way in that T-model Ford, so when she comes by your house try to stop her." Jewel came out to the road to stop me and tell me that Era wanted me to stop when I got back home. Well, I didn’t stop when Jewell yelled at me because I didn’t know how to stop it. As I came on down the road, there was Era waiting for me, but I couldn’t stop it, so I just kept on driving into town. It was a Saturday afternoon, and a crowd of people were in Bedias. There I came through town and by all those wagons and mules wearing my purple toboggan-like cap with an orange tassel on top. I was doing real well so I decided to go see Bernice Davis and take her for a ride. As I passed through town, Horace happened to see that purple cap sitting behind the steering wheel and started out after me. I tried to make a turn by the Methodist church and ran off in a ditch and the motor died. By that time, Horace caught up with me and told me to move over, he was taking me home. I was really mad at him for stopping my driving excursion.

To be continued in a future edition of the newsletter.

About this issue

Alete Thompson Wafer and Jeannette Roberts Courtney were Hiram McAdams’ granddaughters.

Vernon McAdams and Ruth McAdams Cole were Hiram’s youngest two children. Their stories preserve for us McAdams family life as it existed in the first quarter of this century. The stories of Vernon and Ruth are quite lengthy and will be concluded in a future edition of this newsletter.

All of these stories and pictures (and many, many more pictures and stories) are available on the McAdams Family Internet site in the Family History and Photo Album sections.